Seal of Dane County County of Dane
Dane County Land & Water Resources Department

Erosion Control and Shoreland Erosion Control

Erosion and uncontrolled stormwater runoff can have adverse impacts on both land and water. To reduce these impacts, either an Erosion Control Permit or a Shoreland Erosion Control Permit may be required depending on your project's location.

Erosion Control Permit - required by Dane County Ordinance Chapter 14 (PDF) for specific land disturbing activities that occur outside the Shoreland Zone.

Shoreland Erosion Control Permit - required by Dane County Ordinance Chapter 11 (PDF) for specific land disturbing activities that occur within the Shoreland Zone (JPG). If your project is located within the Shoreland Zone, we recommend that you contact Dane County Zoning to determine if permits are required.

Use our Permit Decision Tree (PDF) o help you understand permitting requirements, but please note that all permit determinations must be made in writing by our staff.

An Erosion Control Permit or a Shoreland Erosion Control Permit is required for any of the following:

  • Land disturbing activity in excess of 4,000 square feet of land
  • Land disturbing activity that involves excavation, filling, or a combination of excavation and filling, in excess of 400 cubic yards of material
  • Disturbing more than 100 lineal feet of road ditch, grass waterway, or other existing open channel
  • Creating a new public or private road or access drive longer than 125 feet
  • Recording a subdivision plat
  • Any other land disturbing activity (even if less than 4,000 square feet) that the local approval authority determines to have a high risk of soil erosion or water pollution, or that may significantly impact a lake, stream, or wetland area
  • Any land disturbing activity in the Shoreland Zone (see below)

The Shoreland Zone includes all lands within:

  • 1000 feet from the ordinary high-water mark (OHWM) of navigable lakes, ponds, or flowages
  • 300 feet of the ordinary high-water mark (OHWM) or landward side of the floodplain of the navigable reaches of rivers and streams
  • 75 feet of the shoreland or inland wetland district
  • Note: Shoreland Zone Erosion Control Plans must be stamped by a licensed professional engineer (P.E.). Minor projects may be exempt from the P.E. stamp requirement. Check with Water Resource Engineering staff (PDF) to see if your project qualifies for an exemption.



View application materials below:

Before you apply, you may wish to review / complete:

Primary Tools

Additional Tools

Additional forms and information that may need to be submitted with your permit application(s):

Your project may also need a permit from another agency, common links are provided below. Please confirm permit requirements prior to beginning a project.

Department of Planning & Development

Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources



If you have questions or comments regarding this webpage, please send us a message.

< Permits Home