Seal of Dane County County of Dane
Dane County Land & Water Resources Department

Erosion and Stormwater Permitting for Agriculture

Land disturbing activities on agricultural lands expose soil and/or add impervious surfaces, which increases stormwater runoff and may affect water quality. In order to address these effects, erosion control and/or stormwater management permits may be required.

Land disturbing activities include:

  • Dredging any agricultural ditch
  • Repairing or installing drainage tile
  • Breaking out new land – including removing fence lines
  • Installing a gravel area, building, permanent water pool (manure storage facility), or other impervious surface


Before developing any part of a farmstead or beginning the land disturbing activities above, please review the permit requirements and links below.

Erosion Control Permit - required when 4,000 sq ft or more of land is disturbed.

Stormwater Management Permit - required when a cumulative 20,000 sq ft of impervious area is added to a site. Only areas constructed after 2001 are counted, but any addition no matter how small counts toward this trigger.


Other Agency Permits

Your project might also need to be reviewed by other agencies including those below. Please confirm permit requirements prior to beginning your project.

In some cases you may need to contact your local Drainage District.